Tinnitus is an issue that we see in a lot of our Veterans. It’s a constant ringing or buzzing in the ears that, according to an American Tinnitus Association study, affects about 50 million people in the United States. Further, about 2% of the population has tinnitus so severe their quality of life is impaired. The ATA also states that there is no known cure. That does not mean that you can’t get relief.
One of the problems a lot of our clients with tinnitus complain about is that it keeps them up at night, and they often lose sleep due to the ringing. Beltone, a leading manufacturer of hearing aids in the United States, offers up some suggestions: Try to avoid loud noise. Control your blood pressure, and decrease salt intake. They also suggest using a competing sound, such as a radio, white noise generator. A lot of people have been hesitant to use white noise because of it being associated with static. And honestly, from my experience, that sound can be quite annoying. However, technology has a way of changing things. If you are a smartphone owner there are a ton of apps out there that take white noise to the next level. For instance, the one I use is free (with in app purchases available,) on the iPhone. It has so many relaxing sounds. You can listen to everything from a ceiling fan, to a boat swaying in the water to even rain on a car roof. (A personal favorite of mine) In fact, they even let you download more sounds from their website. One I came across was bacon frying. While I did pass on this one myself, I think there are a large number of people who would find this relaxing.
There is no guarantee that this will help you sleep any better. What works for some, may not work for you. However, there are so many free options out there, and they are easy to use, so why not give it a shot? If you are interested in learning about what we can do to help you get service connected for tinnitus, or have other claims that you need help with, give us a call today for a free consultation. You can also request to have us call you by clicking here.
- You may be entitled to thousands of dollars in back pay - April 20, 2018
- 4 Mistakes Veterans Make When They’re Approved - April 6, 2018
- The Best Kept Secret at the VA: The Debt Management Center - January 24, 2018
- Rural Veterans Face High Suicide Risk - January 23, 2018
- How a Prehearing Helps Your VA Disability Claim - January 5, 2018
- What Does Evidence Mean In A VA Disability Claim? - January 3, 2018
- 5 Things All Vets Can Do To Benefit Their VA Disability Claim In 2018 - December 16, 2017
- What Are The Basic Requirements to Receive VA Disability Benefits? - December 6, 2017
- Procrastination and Your VA Disability Claim - November 17, 2017
- How Veterans Use Meditation to Alleviate PTSD Symptoms - October 20, 2017